Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I am infinitely infuriated by the internet at the present moment.

After spending two weeks working on a Keynote interactive story for Project 2 I have learned that there is no conceivable way to upload this file and have people download it and "play" it the way it was created.

I saved the Keynote file as a PowerPoint in the hopes of making it more accessible. Unfortunately, when I uploaded the file to GoogleDocs it became an awful mess. Everything was wrong. The formatting looked like vomit, all my links were inert, images were the wrong color, extra text was added, etc. The entire presentation became an orgy of jumbled letters and misconstrued images.

After realizing my failure here I scoured the internet for other options. I found out about Slideshare, which supposedly allows for importing of Keynote files. Not sure why everyone on the internet claims this to be true because after spending an hour trying to figure out how to upload a Keynote file to their website I realized it was not possible. It just won't allow for uploading the Keynote file type.

My next step was to try and convert the file to HTML. This worked, but it eliminated all the transitions/interactive links/sound/video and essentially just turned the entire thing into a 2 dimensional presentation. I hated the way it came out in this format so it was back to the drawing board.

Originally I was just going to upload the file as a PowerPoint and allow people to download it, but after seeing the conversion I think I would rather no one see the file at all then for them to see it in that state.

I have a final project, but I can't get it on the internet without sacrificing 75% of the work I put into it. I will be bringing my laptop to class to show my project and I hope that will suffice, because I have no idea how to get this to work otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. Joe,
    I had a similar problem with Google Docs. Wheb uplpsded and viewed online, it indeed looks jumbled up, but if you hsve your readers download the file, it should be fine and run normally. At leaat it did for me

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete