Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Memory and Imagery

Alright, here we go!

So for this week I decided to run all of the points of this blog post together. I played around with both Google Docs and Google Sites and found that both are quite easy to navigate, and that the interfaces are extremely user-friendly. I didn't have any complications while playing around with them, and found that there are a lot of fun things that can be done through these helpful tools.

Okay, so now to get to the idea for my Hypertext Fiction!

Last post I rambled on about an idea that I hadn't fully formulated yet. I'd be lying if I said that I had the idea down pat, but I do have a clearer understanding of what I am trying to go for. First, as I mentioned, I want the narrative of the story to take place in the memory of a man in nature. He is observing, from a high point, a valley below him. I am still unsure where, exactly, I want this to be set. I believe that I would like to do Montana, as I have been there and found the natural splendor of the area to be both breathtaking and haunting, but I'm still mulling that over.

Also, I must note something before I continue on. While playing with Google Sites I decided to "kill two birds with one stone" and use my test site as a place to store the images I've been collecting for this assignment. This way I can show them off to anyone who may be interested. The images I use in this blog post can be clicked, and you will be brought to my test page that has a slew of images I am planning on drawing inspiration from. All photographs were taken by me during a trip around the country that I took several summers ago.


Memory, like the shadows of clouds over a valley.

Essentially, the man on the cliff is recalling moments over time that he spent with his lover in nature. He can't recall the face of the man, because it has been seven years since they parted ways. The man on the cliff gets more and more frustrated as he sinks further into his memory. Every time he tries to recall his former lover, he only sees obscured images. The other man is always facing away, or silhouetted, or just out of reach. The words and conversations are present in the man's mind, but in a voice that is unfamiliar.
Always facing away.

What I attempt to address in this story is the lonely nature of memory. How the passing of time can take away the thoughts and actions of those who once filled us with life. When we stand alone, observing the transitory nature of the world around us, we are left in a place that can be desolate.  I am not sure how I want this to play out still, nor do I know if I want the story to end on a note of positivity or cynicism. But this is where I am going and I like what's happening so far.

Here, for those who don't want to click the images, is a link to my Google Site with the full list of images that I am drawing inspiration from.


I look forward to hearing about everyone else's projects, and learning how we can accomplish our goals as we journey on this digital road together!



No comments:

Post a Comment